In Charleston, South Carolina,
Keep two weeks’ worth of the following perishable supplies:
- Litter or bedding
Also, put the following in a container with the rest of your family supplies:
- Dish detergent and paper towels for clean-up
- First aid kit (may be combined with your family kit)
- A current photograph, in the event your pet is separated from you
- A lightweight, portable cage (we recommend a top-opening cat carrier with handle)
- Nest box, pillowcase, or other shelter, small enough to fit in the cage
- Small, unbreakable food and water dishes
- Hand wipes or paper towels and hand sanitizer
- Small bags for pet waste disposal
After you have assembled your Hedgehog Hurricane Preparedness Kit, take a few moments to prepare your evacuation plan. In the event of a serious storm, where will you and your family go?
Can you take your pet(s) with you? If you plan to stay in a hotel, make sure well in advance that the hotel will permit hedgehogs to stay. Make sure to tell them that the hedgehog will remain caged during the stay.
Remember also that your small portable cage is discreet if you do not have any other pets with you.
With a preparedness plan, you, your family, and your pets will be safer and better off!